- What is a lottery?
- “A lottery is a form of gambling that involves the drawing of lots. The history of lotteries goes far back, and some even say that it may have started approximately 2 000 years ago, during the Roman Empire.
The simple and straightforward mechanism of purchasing a ticket, and distributing the accumulated funds is loved by many, and is a familiar form of entertainment around the world. In many countries, lottery systems are regulated by national or local governing bodies, and its laws varies from region to region.”
- Lottery market
- According to TechNavio’s Global Lottery Market Report (2015-2019), which collects data from more than 500 companies to investigate and issue statistics on lottery markets, the value of the global lottery market in 2014 was $246.65 billion. It is expected to reach $376.87 billion by 2019. The lottery market growth is 8.85% CAGR (compound annual growth rate). The growth of the world’s lottery market is said to be attributed due to the increase in disposable income, this increase in consumable value has escalated people’s consumption for leisure activities. Lottery tickets are popular with people from low income to middle class groups. With the growth of the world economy, change within income groups are to be seen, and especially with economic growth in APAC, growth of the lottery market is also to be expected. In addition, as mobile internet devices such as smartphone and tablet use increases, growth of online lottery markets can be foreseen.
Global lottery trends
- Platform growth
- The lottery market has been seeing global growth due in part to global smartphone penetration. Globally, with easier acess to online lottery systems, we see this as the main driving force behind the lottery market as a whole.
- Online lottery
- Many lottery operators are currently offering online lottery tickets, and expanding their marketshare by targeting countries such as India, where paper lottery ticket are forbidden.
- Variety of lottery products
- Demand for a wider selection of lottery is on the rise. Currently products such as sports betting, slot games, raffles, scratch cards, etc. are available.
Countries where Quanta lottery can operate
Research into licensing conditions of varoius countries to determine where Quanta can operate was performed. Leading examples of where private enterprises may be granted a license to operate are, United Kingdom in the developed countries, South Africa among newly industrialized countries and Cambodia among emerging countries.